Rules Of The Fund
New Sickfund Contributions & Council Levies
The following contributions will now be payable as a consolidated amount via the website
|These will increase by 8.5% as follows
|Monthly Contribution payable by EMPLOYEES
|Monthly Contribution payable by EMPLOYERS
|TOTAL MONTHLY CONTRIBUTION
New Sickfund & Sickday Benefits
The 2009 medical benefits for members of the fund would normally have increased in line with the increased contributions. However, by adding a subsidy arising from the successful enforcement program, the total medical limits will increase by a total of 16%. The total SICKDAY benefit per day, payable to employers, will also benefit from the subsidy and will also increase by 16%. The results are as follows:
|GENERAL BENEFIT - Consultations & Expenses
(pro-rated if join during the year)
||R1 120 |
|PRESCRIBED MEDICINE BENEFIT
|SICKDAY BENEFIT (paid to employers – max 12 days)
(pro-rated if join during the year)
Sick Fund Rules
Our sickfund has adopted the following new regulations
- The sickfund offers very cost effective medical benefits. To receive these benefits, members must be part of the industry and also be members of the council.
- Any correspondence, claims & sickfund certificates must reflect the MEMBERSHIP NUMBER.
- All claims submitted more than 3 calendar months after service date will be rejected.
- Benefits are suspended, if membership contributions are more than 60 days in arrears.
- Like UIF & PAYE, monthly contributions to the council & sickfund must be received by the 7th day after month end. The remittance advice must be received by the 15th day of the month. A PAYMENT WITHOUT A REMITTANCE ADVICE WILL INVALIDATE A PAYMENT. Penalties will then apply.
- The fund will continue to phase out the use of cheques. Members who do not have their own bank accounts will experience delays in being reimbursed. Please help the fund by providing details of the employer’s bank account as well as that of all staff.
- New Members may not claim for the first 5 calendar months from date of 1st contribution (previously 22 weeks).
- If a member resigns from the company and leaves service after the 15th of the month, a full months fund contribution must be received. Claims for that final month will be valid. Conversely, if a member resigns from the company leaves service before the 15th of the month, no contribution is required, but similarly, no claims for that month will be entertained.
- From January 2009, billing reports will no longer be send out by the fund.
- LATE CONTRIBUTIONS - A penalty of 10% of late contributions be levied on the EMPLOYER. The penalty will be automatically deducted from any sickday benefits claimed by that employer.
- As a new initiative and as an alternative to a “panel doctor”, the Council has negotiated special access for all members to a PRIMARY HEALTH CARE (PHC) facility in Mitchells Plain. This “mini-hospital” is operated by the LEATHER BARGAINING COUNCIL and offers treatment, consultation and medicines for a fraction of normal prices. The LAWUSA union has inspected the facilities and can provide more detail if required. Several similar facilities exist in other locations and could be brought “on-line” in the future. The cost per consultation is R180, but includes medicines and will allow members to be consulted MUCH quicker than at public facilities. We will trial the scheme for 6-months to see if it is beneficial to continue.
- WITH EFFECT FROM 01/11/2009, the SICK DAY benefit payable to employers was cancelled.